Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Almost Sugar-Free Blueberry Rooibos Muffins

I have become fascianted with using tea in unlikely places.  So today when I was making muffins and I discovered that I had no more "milk" I happily used tea instead.  If I was to make this recipe again I might steep the tea in almond or soy milk rather than plain water but I'm still happy with the way these turned out.
This recipe is as sugar-free and fat-free as I could manage.
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup unbleached white flour
3 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp stevia
2 tbsp ground flax
2 bananas, mashed
1 cup water, boiled and steeped with Rooibos tea, then cooled to room temp
1/2 tsp vanilla
2 tbsp agave nectar
3/4 cup fresh blueberries

Preheat oven to 400 (F).  In a medium mixing bowl, combine flours, baking powder, cinnamon, sevia and flax.  In a seperate bowl, mash bananas and stir in tea water, agave nectar and vanilla.  Add wet ingredients to dry until just mixed, then fold in the berries.  Scoop into ceramic baking tray or lightly oiled muffin tin.  Bake for 20 minutes, until golden brown.  Makes 12 muffins.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The muffins sound divine! Especially since blueberries are at their peak right now, it would be a great way to take advantage of this season's produce.