Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Almost Sugar-Free Sugar Free Mango Strudel

The May Daring Bakers’ challenge was hosted by Linda of make life sweeter! and Courtney of Coco Cooks. They chose Apple Strudel from the recipe book Kaffeehaus: Exquisite Desserts from the Classic Cafés of Vienna, Budapest and Prague by Rick Rodgers.



 How awesome is it that the recipe was already vegan?  Well, except that it called for butter which was easily substituted with Earth Balance.  It was too easy to make! The dough is supposed to be stretched and made very thin but even if it tears a bit, any minor imperfections are hidden when the dough and filling is rolled up into a log.  Love that part!

Linda and Courtney made apple filling for theirs, but as part of the challenge, they gave free reign to us to come up with whatever filling we wished, be it sweet or savoury.

I diced a mango and tossed it in a couple of tbsp's of rum before rolling it up and baking it in the oven. 

I used a baking stone, as I do with pretty much everything that I bake, be it cookies or pizza or whatever.  Here's the finished product before I sliced it up:

 
I chose not to use sugar and cinnamon, but decided instead to keep it as sugar free as possible.  Mango is so sweet already, so all I did was drizzle on a bit of agave nectar before indulging in this treat - and I had only a teeny bit of guilt about eating it at 10pm right before going to bed.
 
 

8 comments:

Jen Treehugger said...

Mmmmm goodness me, that looks wonderful. I LOVE Mango so much - for a healthy Fruit they sure taste decadent and naughty! Great combo.
:)

Fahrenheit 350° said...

Excellent strudel! This looks incredible!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful job - mango is so sweet, that was a great idea!

Anonymous said...

I too opted for the mango filling but my mango was on the tart side...your strudel however looks absolutely delicious!

Anonymous said...

Mango strudel sounds great! Congratulations!

Unknown said...

Yay for an easily veganized challenge. Great job! Mango sounds delicious.

Unknown said...

Yay for an easily veganized challenge. Great job! Mango sounds delicious.

aTxVegn said...

Your strudel turned out beautifully! The mango version sounds great.