Saturday, September 27, 2008

Fabu-lash Lavash

I was completely thrilled to discover that my second ever daring baker challenge was vegan!  No substitutions necessary, just a straight up Lavash Cracker from Peter Reinhart's The Bread Baker's Apprentice: Mastering The Art of Extraordinary Bread.  I strayed only slightly from the recipe in that I used whole wheat flour instead of unbleached all purpose flour, I added 1 tbsp of guar gum, and I sprinkled ground pumpkin seeds on it right before baking in the oven.
The instructions say to roll the dough paper thin, and this is probably the most important step, as I learned the hard way that if the dough is too thick it ends up being pita-like.  Still tasty, but I don't think it could really be called a cracker.  My second attempt turned out much better after I realized just how thin paper thin is supposed to be.
The other half of the challenge was to make a dip for the lavash.  I decided I wanted to try making something raw, and I came up with a delicious spinach & artichoke dip which was a hit with my friends - they couldn't believe that I made it by just tossing random ingredients into the food processor.  Seriously, there is no chopping or preparation of ingredients needed.  It's that simple.  Raw can be so easy, I really should eat more raw foods.

*UPDATE:  as someone pointed out, the artichokes aren't raw so I fudged that up.  Hmm maybe raw isn't so easy!

Spinach and Artichoke Dip

1 16 oz can white kidney beans, drained
1 small jar of artichoke hearts in oil, drained
1 cup fresh spinach
3 cloves garlic
3 tbsp nutritional yeast
pinch of salt & pepper
pinch of cayanne pepper

Blend everything in a food processor until smooth.

10 comments:

Lauren said...

Ooo, your lavash looks great, and your dip sounds amazing!

Avery Yale Kamila said...

Everything looks so delicious! I love the idea of adding the pumpkin seeds.

Sara said...

Yum, everything looks totally fabulous! (I'm not sure your dip is raw though...I'm pretty sure that canned artichoke hearts are cooked first! Raw artichokes are pretty inedible). I will have to try that dip; it looks really yummy!

Anzj said...

How on earth did you get your crackers so neatly thin and rectangulair? Chapeau!

Maggie said...

Beautifully thin crackers!

Janet said...

Oops, Sara you're right about the artichokes! LOL. I can't believe I didn't realize that.

Anzj, I rolled out the dough on a baking stone so I wouldn't have to transfer it, and then I cut it with a pizza cutter before baking it.

Anonymous said...

What an awesome dip recipe! I'll have to remember that one for my next party. :)

AJ said...

Lovely dip!!

Apu

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Very well done! Your crackers look perfect! What a scrumptious and interesting dip! Yummy!

Cheers,

Rosa

Anonymous said...

Beautiful job on the challenge! That dip sounds delicious, raw or not! And of course you can add me to your blog roll! I'll do the same! Great blog!